Sunday, July 28, 2013

Chanel Les 4 Ombres in Mystère and Le Vernis in Taboo


This is the first Chanel eyeshadow quad I have owned in a while so I was interested to see how the quality compared to my much loved Mac, Dior and YSL eyeshadow palettes.

Les 4 Ombres 43 in Mystère is due to launch in the UK in August along with the much anticipated Chanel cream blushers, all part of the Superstition collection for Fall 2013.  Already launched in the US, I have bought and reviewed Le Blush Créme De Chanel in Révélation and Ombre Essentialle in Gri Gri from Nordstrom, both scoring high marks on the 'expatmakeupaddict-ometer'.


Sorry yes that is Ali in the top left corner, he wasn't for moving out of the way today



The quad I have is a US formula which I believe differs to the UK formula and on first sight looks like a classic grey smokey eye palette.  On closer inspection the shades are actually variations of cool toned khaki and taupe.  A couple of the shades have golden sparkles.



The winning shade for me in the quad when swatched is the slightly shimmery looking taupe bottom left of the quad and second from right in the swatches below.  The two darker colours feel a bit flat.





I have seen this palette compared to the Armani Eyes to Kill quad which is also called Mystery (see Sara at Color Me Loud's post on this same palette).  When I look at swatches online I actually prefer the Armani palette!  I used the palette this morning and am really on the fence about it to be honest.  The taupe colour in the bottom left which was my favourite when I swatched it comes off as a very dull and flat mid toned grey on me.  I blended the bottom right colour into the crease and it blended away to almost nothing.  The colours have loads of fallout when you put your brush in the palette as they are so soft but the fall out isn’t too apparent when you apply it to your lids. 
The colours are easy to blend and without doubt pigmented but they haven’t wowed me.  The surprise colour is the white in the top right.  I applied this to my inner corners and found it to be very powdery, but when I put a little bit on a Mac 217 blending brush and blended it around the darker shade I had applied in the crease it really brought out the khaki tone in the darker colour and gave some definition to the eye.  It is quite a glittery colour though so I am not 100% sure that it’s really suitable for work where I am wearing it today.t feels like a completely different formula to Gri Gri which I absolutely adore.  And now I kind of remember why I didn't like the first Chanel eye quad I purchased.

There is a much more favourable review from Amy at Cafe Makeup and her swatches look amazing and make me want to try again with this palette.  I couldn't pick up the sparkle she has managed to in her beautiful photos.

Trouble is this has now made me really want the Armani quad.....

My second purchase was the absolutely beautiful Taboo nail polish.



I've wanted this deep, velvety red toned purple for an age but I think it might have only just launched in the UK and it's still not in Dubai.  It has subtle iridescent shimmer and although I haven't worn it yet I know exactly what to expect having drooled over numerous swatches of it online for what seems like months.

Are you going to be picking up anything from the Superstition collection?


Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Expat Make Up Addict | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig